I've had friends who gush about how fun grocery shopping in foreign countries is. They find it to be a big adventure and a chance to try a few wild and crazy things. So far grocery shopping has only caused anxiety for me. I'm really trying to embrace the adventure of not knowing what I'm buying but am not doing a great job so far.
As it turns out, food is packaged in such a way to be very descriptive even when you don't speak the language. Cues are taken from the few words you do know and from the pictures and labeling. Understanding that 'gras' and 'gratis' usually mean fat I was able to ascertain which yogurt should have less fat. I still spent approximately 7 minutes longer than necessary starting blankly at the yogurt aisle trying to make the best choice in yogurt. When choosing cheese I chose the package with the picture of the cow assuming that at least I wasn't buying goat cheese.
When I 'studied' abroad in Paris one summer grocery shopping was not quite so overwhelming as my four years of high school french had at least taught me enough French vocabulary to know what I was buying. And when making the purchases I at least understood the words of the cashier so I could behave appropriately. Thus far I have simply given a blank stare to the cashier and waited for the total to appear on the screen before paying. When they ask me a question I just smile back and wait for my receipt and pretend like I didn't hear them.
I have not, as of yet, attempted to buy fresh produce. I believe there is a process for picking out, weighing, and purchasing fresh produce but I haven't spent enough time stalking other customers yet to figure out what that process is. I have learned that just add water, mushroom tortellini out of a bag is just as unappetizing in Romania as it is at home. I've also learned that high fat sticks of salami are as delicious as ever. But since there is no FDA requiring labeling of food products with nutritional information I don't know just how much fat is in that stick of salami. And for now it is probably better that way.
Monday, October 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment