Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I Voted

I voted. Twice in fact. But as it turns out you don't get stickers when you vote from abroad. I'm also not sure Romanians would understand the sticker if I had one and wore it. That wouldn't stop me however.

Much to my chagrin I had to vote as a DC resident this year. Being a DC voter did give me the chance to vote in person for the first time at my neighborhood polling location in September. This was thrilling for me. But I would have preferred to cast a ballot for Governor Gregoire.

For all the talk of voter suppression I was shocked at how easy they make it for people overseas. Although I requested my absentee ballot well in advance, there is a substantial mail delay so I started getting nervous last week when I still didn't have it.

So some internet perusing led me to first to the Democrats Abroad website which directed me to votefromabroad.org. Eventually I ended up at the Federal Voting Assistance Program website. It seems this site and the services provided are intended for uniformed service members and their families but they also open up the program to US citizens living overseas.

The requirements to use the site vary by state. But in general, you fill out a form and are then given a Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot to fill out and send to your local elections board. The website explicitly says that you can use a Write-In ballot if you have requested an Absentee Ballot but it has not arrived yet. If you fill out the Write-In and then your Absentee arrrives? Simple. Fill out the Absentee and send it in as well. Once your Absentee is received your Write-In will be voided.

I filled out the paperwork and made the trek to the post office to mail in the Write-In Ballot. And, as expected, when I got home from work that day by regular Absentee Ballot was in my mailbox. So I voted twice. And it felt great both times.

Today in the UsofA Starbucks offered a free cup of coffee to anyone who votes. You don't even have to show them your sticker. Just tell them you voted and they'll give you a cup of coffee. I think it is pretty amazing how organizations are finding creative ways to get involved with this election. We went to Stabucks in Bucharest today. They didn't give us the same offer. But the guy at the register obviously could tell we were from the States. He said "big day!" and I agreed. He asked if I voted and I told him I'd already sent in my ballot. He was shocked by the idea that I could mail in my vote. I stopped myself from explaining why I had actually mailed in two votes.

1 comment:

Katie said...

there were no stickers at my polling place and i made a small stink to the board of elections dude
i said "i think it is important today to be able to look around and get a visual of all the people who have taken part in this election"
but alas, no stickers
silly suffolk county!