Saturday, September 27, 2008

KJR's next life adventure

(In case you stumbled across this and were not directed here from the email...this is the email sent explaining why I won't pick up my cell phone for the next few months...)

Two years ago I was in the first few weeks of my internship with the Cantwell 2006 campaign. Unpaid and working 40+ hours a week I couldn’t imagine doing anything else. Until January 2007 when I packed my bags and moved across the country with two other interns to embark on what turned into one of the best decisions of my life.

Once in DC I spent some time working in Senator Cantwell’s office then got anxious and headed back to the campaign world. The 9 ½ months I worked on Senator Dodd’s campaign for President were memorable for so many reasons. Not always glamorous work and some days I didn’t love my job. But the life lessons learned and the relationships developed with some truly remarkable people made it worth every headache along the way.

On February 5 of this year I left the traditional campaign world for the private sector. I’ve spent the last 7 months working for a company called Virilion, spending my days trying to figure out how to keep a client organized and happy. Since taking the job I’ve spent a lot of time explaining to all my friends from Washington state why other parts of the country need coal based electricity and why coal matters to them. Few believe me even now.

A highlight of the job was the opportunity to attend both the Democratic and Republican National Conventions this year. Incredibly interesting and educational two weeks with an admitted bit of fun on the side. One life lesson learned upon my return from two weeks on the road is that I’m not a good fit for 9-5 desk jobs. I suppose I’ve always known this but returning to my computer at the office was much more difficult this time around.

The good news is that a week ago I set off on my next life adventure that I think will be anything but a 9-5 desk job. I landed in Bucharest, Romania last Sunday and will be here through the fall helping a former boss with one of his projects. This opportunity has been a reminder that it is good to have people looking out for you. I do plan to be back in Seattle for the holidays if that matters to you. And after that…we’ll see what 2009 brings.

At the request of a few people I have, in fact, started a blog. Updates will be made with a few pictures and stories in case you want to track my adventure for the next few months. I have also created a Skype account though have not successfully figured out how to use said account. Tutorials from frequent Skype users welcomed and appreciated.

One last request before signing off – please vote on November 4. I don’t care who you vote for – but make sure you are registered and make sure you vote.

All of my best to everyone. I hope this finds you doing well and while I make no claim to be good at it myself – please, keep in touch.

Love,
Kelly Jean

1 comment:

Brandon Knox said...

Wow Kelly, that is so amazing! I think we all knew you didn't really care where you slept after all of the nights you spent in the Leadership Office :-) I always thought that was pretty cool. Thanks for keeping me up to date on your life and I will check back for updates often!

I'm currently in grad school at UNR and a Graduate Resident Director. I really like the school, but can't wait for my two years to be up so I can move back to Seattle :-P

I hope everything continues to go well!!